Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Thanksgiving Time!

Yay!!  Happy Thanksgiving break!  Well...err...to some of you at least!  Happy ALMOST break to the rest of you that work this week!   My school has the whole week off after a week of parent-teacher conferences, but if you're one of the schools that works these first couple of days, it's almost over!  Woohoo! 

Ya know that feeling when your last conference ends?  I literally closed my classroom door and celebrated...by myself...hands in the air and all.  I even played "Celebrate" over the speakers in my classroom.  Okay, I'm kidding........am I?  It is such a long and exhausting week to teach all day and then immediately have conferences until late evening.  PHEW!  This break is MUCH needed!

Parent-teacher conferences were a success this year with only a couple no-shows.  I am so fortunate to have a group of parents that care deeply about their child's education and were open and accepting to all of my thoughts, observations, praises, and suggestions for growth.  As I'm sure many of you are aware, having parents on your side as a teacher is one of the most crucial elements to student success so I am so happy to have a majority of my parents on board!  

I have been TOTALLY awful at taking pictures of all the fun Thanksgiving/Pilgrim learning we have been doing these last couple of weeks, but I will surely share what I did managed to snap photos of.  My kids were OBSESSED with learning about pilgrims.  Something about learning what life was like long ago is so interesting to them.  

The most interesting part about our pilgrim learning was about life on the Mayflower.  The kiddos were so intrigued by life on the Mayflower.  They had to eat the same things everyday, wear the same clothes, sleep on the cold, hard floor,  they didn't have toys and (*gasp*) had to go to the bathroom in a bucket!  OH THE DRAMA!   While reading books about the Mayflower, we even laid on the floor of our classroom to act like we were sleeping on the Mayflower which, incase your wondering, was only the COOLEST THING EVER!  It's the simple things in life....

After we learned all about the Mayflower, I put together this sort for a quick activity and check-in to see which of my students were recalling all our learning!  I have uploaded it as a freebie in my TpT store so feel free to grab it if you are still in school and needing a quick activity before break!  



We also talked about what we would bring with us if we were traveling on the Mayflower and made cute Mayflower suitcases to take with us!


This suitcase is my personal favorite.  What would he bring on the Mayflower?  Oh, just the essentials.  His 3DS, pool pants (?), underwears, a bath tub, and a night light!  ADORABLE!


We also made cute fact family turkeys complete with number bond bodies (idea courtesy of my coworker) to add above our lockers for our Thanksgiving display!  





That's all I have to share for now but I will be back later this week with some more updates!  Enjoy your break, everyone, and have a happy holiday!






No comments:

Post a Comment